Friday, December 21, 2007

Worship Allah...

I was invited to attend an Islamic mosque today.

At first I thought it was moving. The paintings in the lobby area, the reverence that people shared by takin off their shoes, the visualizations involved in each prayer. It was inspiring.

I've always wanted to be a disciplined person. And I'm not. The disciplined involved in the Islamic religion is so attractive. It makes me want to follow the practice of daily prayers. That at 5 certain times throughout the day I stop whatever my life is doing and pray.

Throughout the message I was my normal analytical self, trying to find similarities and differences in the phrases and thoughts. This particular speaker (I don't know the proper title) used a lot of the same phrases that I hear from Joel Osteen. A lot of spirituality, but not much message. But overall it was a good lesson.

At the end of the message there was a time of prayer with the entire group. I had to make a split decision whether to head for the lobby or move to the front with everyone else to pray. I decided to participate. This is where I start to get a little uneasy. Was that a poor decision? I am not a practicing Muslim, but there I was, standing and sitting, knealing and prayer, with everyone else. Was this the wrong thing to do? A good translation would be if a practicing Muslim came to a worship service and partook in the Lord's Supper. Is that ok?

I believe there is a lot of truth in the Islamic religion. Especially in their practices and disciplines. But I'm trying to decipher my uneasiness right now. Is it the stigma against other religions that I was brought up on, or is it my conscience telling me I did something wrong? Maybe both?

1 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard once that the Christians Mohamed knew prayed six times a day, and he chose to make it easier on his followers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home